Hair dye can make people look gorgeous and feel confident, but it is also full of chemicals that can cause itching. Hair dye contains ammonia, which irritates the scalp and leads to itching.
Moreover, hair dye contains artificial colors that harm the scalp. In this blog post, we will explore home remedies for itchy scalp after hair dye.
- 0.1 What is Itchy Scalp?
- 0.2 What Causes an Itchy Scalp after Hair Dyeing?
- 0.2.1 1.Organic Coconut Oil
- 0.2.2 2. Apple cider vinegar
- 0.2.3 3. Tea Tree Oil
- 0.2.4 4. Baking Soda
- 0.2.5 5. Lemon Juice
- 0.2.6 9. Olive Oil
- 1 Related Questions
- 1.1 How long will it take to relieve the itchy scalp after hair dyeing?
- 1.2 Why is my head so itchy after coloring my hair?
- 1.3 Is there a home remedy for an itchy scalp?
- 1.4 How to prevent an itchy scalp when dying your hair in future?
- 1.5 Is vinegar good for an itchy scalp?
- 1.6 Is it normal for your head to itch after dying it?
- 1.7 What does an allergic reaction to hair dye look like?
- 1.8 Can baking soda stop an itchy scalp?
- 1.9 Whichessential oilis best for an itchy scalp?
- 1.10 Conclusion:
What is Itchy Scalp?
Scalp pruritus, also known as itchy scalp, is a common condition that affects millions of people worldwide. Itchy scalp can be caused by a number of different factors, including dry skin, dandruff, psoriasis, eczema, and fungal infections.
While itchy scalp is often nothing more than a nuisance, it can sometimes be a symptom of a more serious underlying condition. If you are experiencing persistent or severe itchy scalp, it is important to see a doctor or dermatologist to rule out any potential underlying causes.
What Causes an Itchy Scalp after Hair Dyeing?
The itching after hair dyeing may happen for the following reasons:
One possibility is that you have developed an allergy to the hair color, while another is that you have developed a case of seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp. Chemical damage to the scalp. Hair dyes contain ammonia, which irritates the scalp and causes itchiness. Artificial color damages the scalp. Hair dye contains artificial colors that harm the scalp.
In some cases, the redness may be caused by the chemicals present in the hair dye.
Hair dye also contains other chemical components such as alcohol, perfumes, preservatives, and other chemicals that can damage the scalp.
An itchy scalp is frequently caused by head lice, psoriasis, eczema, and dandruff.
Besides these, other factors can also lead to an itchy scalp.
- Skin conditions like scalp psoriasis
- For fungus-related conditions such as scalp ringworm or tinea capitis,
- Head lice are another cause of itchy scalp.
- Indirect causes include things like worry or anxiety.
Here are some of the home remedies for itchy scalp after hair dye. These are effective remedies to get relief from an itchy scalp and make your hair look beautiful.
1.Organic Coconut Oil
How to apply?
- Warm the coconut oil, then apply it to your scalp in a light massaging motion.
- It’s safe to leave it on for at least 20 minutes and up to an entire night.
- Wash it off when taking a shower.
- Just try it once a week before you wash your hair.
How does coconut oil help to relax an itchy scalp?
Coconut oil is one of the best oils for your hair because it has a high level of fatty acids that help to moisturize your hair strands. As your hair becomes more moisturized, it will feel softer, shinier, and easier to style. In addition, coconut oil can help prevent frizz. It also contains vitamin E (1), which helps protect your hair from sun damage. Coconut oil can be used as a deep conditioner and it will keep your hair moisturized for hours.
It contains antibacterial properties (2) that can help to keep your hair feeling fresh and clean.
2. Apple cider vinegar
How to apply?
- Mix 1 cup of water with 1/4 cup of ACV.
- This mixture should be put on the scalp.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes, then wash it off.
- This works best if you do it thrice a week.
Howdoes apple cider vinegarhelp to relax an itchy scalp?
Apple cider vinegar can help to relieve itching by killing fungal infections and bacterial infections (antibacterial and antifungal properties) (3) on the scalp. Additionally,ACV can help to make the scalp more acidic, which can help to reduce inflammation.
ACV is often used as an all-natural hair rinse to reduce dandruff and itchy scalp. It contains acetic acid(4), which helps to exfoliate your scalp to promote healthier hair growth. The acetic acid also aids in breaking up oil that accumulates on your scalp.
3. Tea Tree Oil
How to apply?
- Apply 5-10 drops to the scalp and hair.
- Spend a few minutes massaging it in. Leave it on your head overnight to see results in the morning.
- In the morning, give your hair a good wash.
- Two or three times a week is the recommended frequency.
HowTea Tree Oilhelp to relax an itchy scalp?
Tea tree oil is an ingredient that may be used on the scalp to help reduce the symptoms of itching and kill head lice (6). It is believed that the tea tree oil helps relieve the itch by soothing irritated skin, while also providing anti-fungal properties (5).
4. Baking Soda
How to apply?
- Combine some baking soda (about 2–3 teaspoons) with some water to form a paste.
- Leave this paste on your scalp for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse.
- Perform every two weeks for the best results.
How does baking soda help to relax an itchy scalp?
Baking soda helps to relieve scalp itch and prevents drynessand flaking of the scalp because of its alkaline properties. Baking soda also exfoliates the scalp and removes dead cells from the scalp. Baking soda contains sodium bicarbonate, which neutralizes the pH of the scalp and rejuvenates the skin. It acts as a natural conditioner and restores the smoothness of the scalp.
5. Lemon Juice
How to apply?
- Use half a cup of water to dilute two to three teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Make use of a cotton ball to spread the concoction all over your scalp.
- Rinse it off with water after 5–10 minutes.
- Do this as often as once per week. When it’s used regularly, lemon juice may act as a mild bleach and lighten hair.
How does lemon juice help to relax an itchy scalp?
Lemon juice contains vitamin C, citric acid, and antioxidants. The citric acid in lemon juice is a natural astringent, which means it helps to tighten skin pores and get rid of excess oil. Lemon juice also helps to sanitize the scalp, which can help prevent itchy scalp, and the anti-inflammatory properties of lemon juice can help get rid of any bacterial infection(7).
9. Olive Oil
How to apply?
- Massage the scalp and hair with warm olive oil.
- Leave it on overnight.
- The following morning, rinse your hair as usual.
- For a healthy scalp and hair, do this two times per week.
How does olive oil help to relax an itchy scalp?
Olive oil can help to relax an itchy scalp in a number of ways. First, it can help to moisturize the scalp, which can reduce itchiness. Second, it can help to soothe the scalp, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. And third, it can help to protect the scalp from further irritation. So if you’re looking for a natural way to ease an itchy scalp, reach for olive oil!
How long will it take to relieve the itchy scalp after hair dyeing?
Usually, it takes 2-3 days to relieve an itchy scalp after hair dyeing. However, it may take a longer time.
This itching is caused by the chemical in your hair coloring changing from one type to another. It’s normal and harmless.
You can also use a gentle shampoo and conditioner on your scalp, which might help ease the itching as well. But, it can be best to consult your doctor if it continues to bother you.
Why is my head so itchy after coloring my hair?
An itchy scalp can be caused by various factors. The most common is the use of perms. A perm causes your hair shaft to be broken and can irritate the scalp, causing itching.
Another common cause is allergies. Many people have a problem with one or more of the chemicals used in color processing. You might also experience irritation due to an oil build-up on your hair, particularly if you have colored or highlighted hair.
Is there a home remedy for an itchy scalp?
There are several home remedies for an itchy scalp. You can use lemon juice to get rid of an itchy scalp. To prepare a mixture of 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 3 cups of warm water. Mix these ingredients together and put them in the bathtub. Soak your hair for about 10 minutes. After the bath, wash your hair thoroughly. If you like, you can add 1 teaspoon of baking soda in this mix. This mixture will relieve the itchiness.
The next natural remedy is apple cider vinegar. If you have an itchy scalp, add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in the hair rinse. Let it sit for half an hour before rinsing. Rinse your hair.
Aloe vera is another natural remedy for itchy scalp,and it is quite effective. All you have to do is apply aloe vera gel to your scalp directly and let it stay for 10 to 20 minutes.
How to prevent an itchy scalp when dying your hair in future?
It is possible to control or avoid an itchy scalp by addressing its causes. The following are some points:
- Shampoo your hair with a mild soap-free shampoo. This will help prevent the buildup of dead cells and bacteria.
- Do not rub your scalp vigorously. This can lead to irritation and dry skin.
- Use a good conditioner after shampooing.
- Make sure you wash your hair once a week, and make sure you wash your hair in the direction of the scalp.
- After shampooing, wrap your hair in a towel and wait for 10 minutes. The shampoo should be used at least twice a week, or as prescribed by a physician or dermatologist.
- After drying your hair, apply conditioner.
- Do not use a hot comb or brush your hair.
- Make sure your hair is completely dry before applying any product.
- Do not use any products that contain alcohol.
- Avoid using hair dyes and hair colorants.
- Use a natural hair dye.
- Use a hair mask for healthy and shiny hair.
- Follow the hair careroutine
- Avoid getting hair extensions.
- Keep your hair short.
- Use a good quality moisturizer.
- Avoid using hair spray.
Is vinegar good for an itchy scalp?
Yes, vinegar can be good for an itchy scalp. It can help to soothe the itch and also has anti-inflammatory properties. You can either apply it directly to your scalp or add it to your shampoo.
Is it normal for your head to itch after dying it?
If you’ve just dyed your hair, it’s normal for your scalp to feel a little itchy. This is because the chemicals in hair dye can irritate your skin. If the itching is severe, you may have an allergic reaction to the hair dye. If this is the case, you’ll need to stop using the hair dye and see a doctor.
What does an allergic reaction to hair dye look like?
If you experience an allergic reaction to hair dye, you may notice symptoms like redness, swelling, itchiness, and burning. You may also develop hives or a rash. If you have a severe reaction, you may experience difficulty breathing. If you experience any of these symptoms, it’s important to stop using the hair dye and see a doctor right away.
Can baking soda stop an itchy scalp?
Yes, baking soda can help with an itchy scalp. It can also help with dandruff and other scalp conditions. Just add a little baking soda to your shampoo or conditioner, and it will help to soothe your scalp and keep it healthy.
Whichessential oilis best for an itchy scalp?
There are a few different essential oils that can be helpful for an itchy scalp. Tea tree oil and peppermint oil are two of the most popular options. Both of these oils have anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, which can help to soothe the skin and reduce irritation. Tea tree oil may help as a natural insecticide, which can help to get rid of any pesky bugs that might be causing the itchiness.
Spending hours in a hair salon or beauty parlour can be relaxing and enjoyable, but it can also result in an itchy scalp. Many women suffer from itchy scalps after using hair dye, but fortunately, there are natural alternatives. We hope this article has been helpful—let us know in the comments if any of these home remedies have been effective for you!